Ignatius Park College, Townsville, is a Catholic Secondary College for boys in the Edmund Rice Tradition and was established in 1969 as a congregational school of the Christian Brothers. The Christian Brothers first established a school at Our Lady’s Mount in 1911 and relocated as Ignatius Park to its current site.
In the 1960’s, Christian Brother old boys gifted a parcel of land in Cranbrook to the Brothers. Ignatius Park derives its name from Edmund Ignatius Rice and the fact that this parcel of land was so significant it resembled a “park”. Although this land was initially well and truly on the outer suburbs of Townsville, it is now very close to the geographical centre of Townsville.
The College has traditionally drawn students from all Townsville suburbs and there are currently 1109 students enrolled. Ignatius Park has experienced an unprecedented demand for positions at the College in recent years with significant waiting lists in Year 8, Year 9, Year 10 and Year 11.
Ignatius Park’s challenging academic and co-curricular programs revolve around a recognition that boys think and learn differently from girls. The College routines and curriculum are carefully structured to allow maximum personal growth within an environment tailored specifically to cater for the needs of the young men in North Queensland.